23 Jul 2021
Explore, wander, and maybe even get a little lost in NSW’s backyard!
If you're overdue an escape, stop dreaming and start booking your next getaway with us. There’s never been a better time to take a short break to reset and recharge. Get out to the unknown, discover somewhere new, or revisit an old favourite!
Here are some short getaway ideas to inspire your next trip.
The Hunter Valley
Just a two-hour drive from Sydney, the Hunter Valley is a no-brainer for a quick escape - whether it be a romantic weekend getaway for two, or some family downtime.
Unwind at a day spa, sample delicious local produce, or explore the region on an e-bike!
- Wine-tasting at any of the Hunter's dozens of wineries
- Hot-air Ballooning
- Explore the Hunter Valley Gardens
Whatever the season, the Snowy Mountains are spectacular. Mt Kosciuszko, Australia’s highest peak, is located here, while Kosciuszko National Park is the largest national park in Australia. Go skiing in winter, hiking in summer or kayak on Lake Jindabyne!
The Snowy Vineyard & Microbrewery is not far from our park - formerly known as the Snowy River Winery - and is well worth a visit for locally made wine, craft beer and live music! Further afield the Yarrangobilly Caves are well worth the trip for their spectacular limestone formations and thermal pool, which sits at a consistent 27 degrees.
- Mount Kosciuszko is a must when visiting the Snowy Mountains!
- A sunset cruise on Lake Jindabyne
- Thredbo Bobsled is guaranteed to bring a smile to your face!
- Fancy a round? Thredbo Golf Course is Australia's highest altitude layout.
Nearest park: Discovery Parks - Jindabyne
On the historic banks of the Murray River, the charming twin towns of Albury and Wodonga offer a delicious restaurant, endless outdoor adventure and a thriving arts scene.
Beautifully located on the shores of Lake Hume, we have an option for everyone along with waterfront views that won’t disappoint. Just 15 minutes from Albury’s town centre, you can spend your days discovering local history, meandering through the Albury Botanic Gardens and sampling delicious wines from the nearby Rutherglen region.
- Murray Art Museum Albury is a contemporary showcase of the region
- Albury Botanic Gardens are a beautiful spot for a picnic
- Exploring Lake Hume is a perfect way to spend a day on the water
- Absorb native flora and fauna with a walk around Monument Hill
Nearest park: Discovery Park - Lake Hume
Lane Cove National Park
Looking to digital detox and unplug from the world? Lane Cove National Park is a great place to do it. Just 10km from Sydney's CBD, pack the bags for the weekend and head to this picturesque bushland. Looking for more than must the great outdoors? The township of Lane Cove is filled with amazing street art and local events.
Head into town or immerse yourself in nature by exploring the park on foot, kayak, or bike – it’s up to you!
- Go paddling on the Lane Cove River
- Bushwalking through the national park
- Birdwatching amongst the trees
Nearest park: Discovery Parks – Lane Cove
With its stunning beaches and laid back coastal charm, Byron Bay is an easy choice for a weekend escape. While it’s known for its iconic surf break at The Pass, you don’t need to be a surfer to enjoy this iconic seaside village.
Byron Bay offers plenty for those who prefer to be on the ground from guided tours, picturesque hikes, community markets, to a thriving arts and festival scene.
- Personalised horse-riding tours on the beach
- Enjoy a Pinot & Picasso (paint and sip) experience
- Visit the Lord Byron Distillery
- Experience the Cape Byron Walking Track
Nearest park: Discovery Parks - Byron Bay
The Central Coast
The Central Coast needs no introduction, after all, it’s already a favourite of Sydney-siders for an easy weekend getaway. Known for its beautiful harbourside, quaint local villages, and lush national parks, the Central Coast is the perfect destination for families looking to entertain the little ones!
- Go on a Sydney Oyster Tours - Mooney Mooney
- Experience a Darkinjung Aboriginal Education Tour
- Participate in a pearl farm experience
- Explore the Bouddi National Park
Relax and recharge at Coffs Harbour with the family. Home to the iconic Big Banana (one of Australia’s famous Big Things), stunning beaches, and marine sanctuary, this coastal town will keep everyone busy with its list of attractions!
Go tobogganing at the Big Banana Fun Park, learn about marine wildlife rescue and conservation, or enjoy whale watching at Muttonbird Island Reserve.
- Learn about the local Aboriginal culture and history on the Gumgali Track
- Feed the penguins at the Dolphin Marine Conservation Park
- Ride the 600m toboggan at the Big Banana Fun Park
Nearest park:Discovery Parks – Emerald Beach
The Blue Mountains
Recharge the soul with a trip to the Blue Mountains. A place steeped with ancient cultural history and Dreamtime stories, the Blue Mountains offers the promise of serenity and healing for the weary soul.
Experience the multi-award-winning Aboriginal walkabout adventure in the Blue Mountains, ride on the world’s steepest railway, and visit Jenolan Caves, one of Australia's most spectacular cave systems.
- Go on an Aboriginal walkabout adventure
- Visit Scenic World, and ride the Scenic Skyway
- Visit Jenolan Caves
- Marvel at the world’s second-largest canyon, Capertee Valley
Nearest park: Discovery Parks – Lane Cove