15 Feb 2016
The sun is out, it’s hot and summer is in full force. And while February is not the usual time to be thinking about winter sports, you’re favourite NRL, AFL, Netball and Super Rugby team’s preseason training regimes are already well under way.
Which also means it’s about time to start looking at the draw of your favourite team and plotting the key fixture dates. For diehard fans like me that follow their sport team around the country, Discovery Parks has a number of accommodation options within a short distance of key stadiums. Our parks are not only close to the action, but also cater for large groups and provide an ideal opportunity to create a weekend away around the big game.
Melbourne is Australia’s sports Mecca and Discovery Parks - Melbourne is right in the thick of the city, only a short 11km drive to the CBD.
- Etihad Stadium (10km): Essendon FC, St Kilda FC, North Melbourne FC, Western Bulldogs, Carlton FC, Melbourne Storm
- Melbourne Cricket Ground (15km): Melbourne FC, Richmond FC, Collingwood FC, Hawthorn FC, Carlton FC
- Hisense Arena (16km): Melbourne Vixens
Geelong is a city that loves their sport and Discovery Parks - Geelong is the perfect place to stay if your team is in town to play the Cats. It’s only a short walk to and from the ground and you can take in the beautiful river views on the way.
Simonds Stadium (2.5km): Geelong Cats
Walk through the beautiful gardens and stop for a bite to eat at the many restaurants and bars along the way or drive and be there in a heartbeat.
- Adelaide Oval (2.5km): Port Adelaide, Adelaide Crows
- Priceline Stadium (5.8km): Adelaide Thunderbirds
- Adelaide Entertainment Centre (4.5km): Adelaide Thunderbirds
If you’re dedicated to your team enough to make the long trip to Perth, then Discovery Parks - Coogee Beach, Discovery Parks - Woodman Point, Fremantle and Discovery Parks - Perth Vineyards are all ideal places to stay. All three parks are a short drive to the CBD with Coogee Beach and Woodman Point both located seaside and only a short drive from Fremantle (home of the famous Dockers).
- WACA (25km / 15km Perth Vineyards): West Coast Eagles, Freemantle Dockers
- Nib Stadium (26km / 14km Perth Vineyards): Western Force
- HBF Stadium (20km / 22.5km Perth Vineyards): West Coast Fever