15 May 2015
With all the nature that surrounds the Echuca Moama region, it would be a shame not to enjoy it with a picnic, a hike, a bike ride or a wine tour. So whichever one of these takes your fancy, make sure that when you do it, you do it right.
Wine Tours in Echuca
With 10 wineries in the immediate Echuca Moama neighbourhood, a wine tour is an excellent and obvious choice for exploring the area and supporting local producers. There are a few companies that run wine tours in Echuca; to make life a little easier, the tours they offer are listed below:
This company has four options for you to choose from:
- The half day is a 3.5 hour tour to 3 of the best wineries in the region. There is also a half day tour option with lunch.
- The full day is 6 hours through to 4 wineries. Enjoy a hearty lunch at one of the stops to soak up the vino.
- The Pamper and Wine full day tour can be a romantic getaway for two, or a girls only event. It includes a trip to a local Echuca day spa for a pampering session, where you have the choice of a massage, manicure, pedicure, or facial. This is followed by lunch and visits to 2-3 wineries in the afternoon.
- Alternatively, create your own private tour. The team at For the Love of Grapes will tailor a wine tour that you have planned out for your group.
This is a self-guided wine tour, built on a map that the Echuca Moama Information Centre created (download here). The best thing about this is that directly across from the Information Centre is St Anne’s Winery Cellar Store, where you can hire a couple of bikes for the tour and tick off your first winery of the day! Of course, if you have a loyal friend who is willing to drive you from winery to winery, you should absolutely allow them to.
The Water and Wine Tour goes a little something like this:
- The tour starts at St Anne’s Winery where you will be introduced to a wide selection of red, white and fortified wines.
- You will then be chauffeured through Echuca on a riverboat, until you reach your next destination: Morrison’s Riverview Estate. Here you will enjoy a grazing lunch, all the while sampling their range of wines.
- Cape Horn is your final winery, a fantastic close to an afternoon of indulgence. This winery is located at the meeting of the Murray and Goulburn Rivers, making it a tranquil end to a very busy day.
Customise your own wine tour with this company, selecting any number of wineries and cellar doors that will happily welcome you. You have the choice of a full and half-day winery tour. The Echuca Moama Wine Tours group will also take you sightseeing to break up your day - so enjoy the sights while enjoying the whites!
Bike Rides in Echuca
A great way to get you out and about in Echuca is by bike of course. Save space in the car by hiring bikes (free) from St Anne’s on Murray Esplanade, along with a bike map of the area. Be sure to get there early because there are limited bikes available, and they disappear quickly.
St Anne’s will also be able to provide you with a map of the area that includes picnic spots, playgrounds and local wineries.
Once you have your bike, get going on an adventure around Echuca, following the map or making your own path.
Historic Hikes in Echuca
The Echuca Heritage Hike is a great way to see everything Echuca has in the way of heritage and history. The walk will take you by the old Echuca Post Office, the site of Moore’s Timber Yard. Learn about the restoration process that took place when Echuca was put on the map by the 1980 TV series “All the River Run”. There are many sights that can be explored, and locals will gladly fill you in on any juicy stories.
Brochures for the Heritage Walk and many other walking trails can be collected from the Tourist Information Centre in Echuca.
Picnic in Echuca
Everything you need is right here in Echuca Moama. Wine, cheese, fresh bread and produce are available to you to build your own picnic basket of goodies. The Echuca Farmers Market is open from 8am-1pm every 1st, 3rd and 5th Saturday of the month at Alton Reserve. Stock up on picnic produce here and in the local stores around town. The river is the best place to set your blanket down, eat cheese & crackers, and share laughter with your family and friends.
Now that you have everything you need to make your visit to Echuca Moama a memorable one, be sure to book your accommodation at Discovery Parks - Echuca.